Army Major, Captain, others nabbed for leaking information to Boko Haram

Image result for Army Major, Captain,

The Nigerian Army has arrested a major and a captain for alleged sabotage of the ongoing counter-terrorism operations in the North-East.

The Army, it was gathered, opened a discreet investigations into the activities of some of its personnel following the Boko Haram attack on troops’ location in Gashigar, on October 22, 2016.

No fewer than 13 soldiers were wounded, while others were missing, during a surprise Boko Haram attack on troops at Gashigar, in the north of Borno State.


The incident reportedly worried President Muhammadu Buhari and the Chief of Army Staff Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai.

The Army, determined to get to the root of the incident, perused telephone conversation of some of the security personnel and their civilian counterparts and uncovered some suspicious activities.

A military source told Punch that the suspects leaked information on troops’ movement to the insurgents and also raised funds for the sect operations through cattle rustling.

The source added, “The President was furious and discussed the matter with the COAS when some of the heads of those units were ambushed by the Boko Haram.

“The Army leadership took out time to screen the communication lines of the officers for several days without making it known.

“The suspicion was that they have links with some civilians and the links were traced. They are giving them vital information concerning the movement of soldiers.

“How come that the Borno State Governor and other officials have not been attacked, yet they ambushed the Chief of Army Staff. They have not attacked civilians but they attacked the COAS.”

Acting Army spokesman has confirmed the development.

He said, “Investigation is ongoing and once we conclude, the suspects would be arraigned before a court of competent jurisdiction.”

Usman had said in a statement on Tuesday that a total of 32 persons, comprising two military officers, two soldiers, two policemen and 26 civilians were in custody for allegedly sabotaging the ongoing operations.